What I learned my first two years of Real Estate.. that they don't teach in school

So, I felt compelled to share my experiences as a new agent over the last two years.. and what I've grown to learn, that may be just  little helpful to newer agents, that I hadn't quite thought of until I already either messed up, or it was too late.

Please note, this is supposed to be a fun and playful outlook on the fun of a new agent. I learned many things in my first two years and just recently left my full time position to pursue real estate indefinitely. I'm looking forward to the many years and growth that will come my way, but I couldn't help but share these fun things.

While anxious to get the first listing or buyer, you'll also find yourself doing an open house or two. Open houses were my favorite when I started out, it gets you out there, front line with potential buyers, and now those neighbors that want to check it out. This brings me to point one.

1. Keep toilet paper in your car.

This also brings up an interesting point... You WILL end up doing an open house with no working water. Don't drink a TON of water, and you make friends with the neighbors that come over.. in a few short hours, they will be your friends.

Second, while still sticking with open house... If you do them in a gated community, find out from the HOA about leaving the get open, or putting your number at the box. If people can't get through the gate, they can't get to you.

2. Check with HOA about signs. Some homes have a master community, that may or may not allow having open house signs, and they WILL take them.

3. You will end up in a house that has no power. No power means no Ac. Just an FYI.

4. I make cookies for open houses, if you make too many... you will inevitably have more than one. Be careful

Let's move to the sellers, because they are one of my favorites.

5. Get a Listing Packet Presentation ready the day before, don't do it 10 minutes before because inevitably something will go wrong and you will either a.) not have everything b.) be late. (BAD!)

I personally like going to the home for a listing, and bring everything with me. Including, something to measure the rooms. They make a nifty little tool that laser measures, and I highly recommend it.

6. When working with Buyers or Sellers, with FHA loans, remember to check the Smoke detectors, and that they have batteries. This will cause a delay in your closing.. and you will be spending the long night installing batteries.

This brings me to another point.. while you're not an electrician, I recommend a tool box in your car.. Just in case.

So when working with buyers, which are good.. and want you've narrowed your search.. remember to put the listings in an order of showing.. preferably in a driving order. You may end up passing one or two that you will have to drive back around too.

I know it's just a start, but it made my week. Hope it helps.

If you're interested in selling or buying a home, please let me know and reach out to me. 702.285.7307





Unknown

1 comment: