Questions to Ask your Buyer's Agent



It’s that time, you’ve scoured the internet, decided that you will make the leap and buy a home. Most likely started looking at homes online, and maybe already went through the pre-approval process. Now, it’s time to find the agent to help guide you through the process and make the dream a reality! 
Buying a home may be the biggest decision and most expensive of one’s entire lifetime, so it’s a normal to be nervous or unsure. Below are a list of questions that you may want to ask before signing away with the agent. I’ve had many clients ask these personally and when I bought a home, before I was an agent, I had no idea where to start! 

1. How long have you been working as an agent? Are you full-time/part-time?

This is one that I personally go back and forth with and don’t consider it a total deal breaker. My reasoning behind it as that I was both, a new agent and part time when I started and it didn’t make me less of an agent, but some people want the experience. Some newer agents, under 5 years can and have done more than agents that have been in the business longer. I think as long as they are familiar with the market and laws, which is most important. As for part-time, which I also did; if the agent isn’t available when you are, this may not work. However, if you feel comfortable, and they can work with your schedule, I don’t see this being the deal breaker either.  When I started, I was part-time agent and when I worked with clients, I made sure they knew my available times ( which I tried to make more often than not ) and as long as I knew what they expected of me, it works! 

2. Can you recommend trusted professionals? (Lender, Inspector, Title)? Do I have to work with them?

Here is one I get often, and the answer to both is Yes and No. The agent should have many lists of trusted recommendations for all of these throughout the process as we do deal with them for every transaction. However, you should never be forced to use them. While the agent can give several recommendations, you ultimately can decide whom you’d like to use.  
I often give my clients several options for each of these, and advise them to check out online to see whom they would feel comfortable with. Sometimes also, in the search, they find their own.

3. How well do you know the area that I’m looking to buy in?

This one is a simple one I think. You want someone who knows the area that you’re interested in. Knows the market to work on your side and get you the best deal. Also, if a hot listing comes up that fits, you want to know about it!

4. How will we communicate/updates and how often?

This is a great one. Different buyers will have different expectations as far as communications, updates, listings etc. If you prefer email alerts for everything and simple, or if you like phone calls, text messages. One that you and the agent should work out together and agree upon. Many agents have families and times they may not be available. You want to work this out in the beginning so that there isn't any frustration on communication or lack thereof. 

With the internet being much more accessible, often buyers will send homes to the agent to get more information, which also works! Your agent though should ask you all the questions to find what you are looking for before beginning the actual process. This is just something that both you and the agent should agree upon. 

5. What is your fee?

While most Buyer’s agents are paid through the selling brokerage, you still want to know if there are any underlying fees. I personally don’t think this is always a deal breaker, but it is something that you want to know upfront before signing anything.

6. What sets you apart from other agents?

One of my favorite questions! Essentially, why should we pick you? Often times, the agent may have been a referral, which is nice. But overall, you want someone that’s on your side, rooting for you. The agent may provide past expertise, great reviews and negotiations so you feel at ease. 

7. What if I’m unhappy with the service, or it’s just not working?

Agents don’t get paid until the deal is done. Depending on how far you are in the process, this answer may vary. This would be something you want to know before signing, just in case. 

I know it’s a little long, and there are plenty of other questions, these are ones I have personally been asked on more than one occasion. I hope that it helps and as always, feel free to reach out with questions.  
You can also check out the latest listings on my buyers site below.

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment